Services > Womens Health - The Mummy MOT
Women’s Health and Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy
Services offered - Women’s Health
- Assessment, treatment and management of short and long term pelvic pain
- Pre and post-natal advice and treatment
- Mummy MOT - specialist post-natal assessment from 6 weeks following delivery
- Assessment and treatment of peri-menopausal, menopausal and post-menopausal conditions and symptoms
- Assessment of referred pain for sexual related problems
Approach to therapy and treatment
We have a holistic approach starting with a detailed history followed by a musculoskeletal assessment and evaluation. We then complete a visceral and pelvic floor assessment. All of these evaluations help understand the causes of pelvic pain.
Treatment may include analysing and correcting any breath pattern disorders, teaching breath work and mindfulness to help relax the pelvic floor. Releasing trigger points and tight muscles through manual therapy. We teach patients how to reduce tension in their pelvic floor through specific exercises.
Connective tissue manipulation is often required to reduce myofascial pain and improve blood flow. The aim is to restore normal balance within the pelvic floor, improve the microcirculation and resolve pain. It's often a combination of treatment techniques and tools that most help with recovery and reduction of pain.
We look at lifestyle issues that can have a major impact on pain and symptoms including sleep, stress and activity levels. Patients receive advice and education to help them understand their symptoms. We have found that embracing a holistic approach and calming down the autonomic nervous system are key to understanding and treating pelvic pain.
Aims of Treatment
- Correct pelvic Floor dysfunction
- Promote an efficient breathing pattern
- Deliver oxygen rich blood to the connective tissue and fascia
- Successful elimination of toxins and restoration of normal microcirculation to pelvic floor and vulva area
- Improve Metabolism and rebalance Hormones
- Eliminate Pain
More information on The Mummy MOT
What is a Mummy MOT?
The Mummy MOT is a specialist post-natal assessment recommended for all women following delivery – whether 6 weeks or many years after. We will assess the strength and function of the tummy and pelvic floor muscles to help prevent long-term childbirth related complaints.
What does the Mummy MOT include?
- 1-hour post-natal assessment with a Specialist Post-Natal Health Physiotherapist
- In depth check of pelvic floor strength and tummy gap
- Assessment of any physical problems arising from pregnancy and birth
- A bespoke post-natal recovery programme devised especially for you, your lifestyle and fitness goals. This includes specific and safe post-natal exercises to improve stability, posture and core strength
Who needs a Mummy MOT?
- After having a baby, half of all women have a weakness in either their tummy or pelvic floor area – over a third suffer with chronic pelvic pain. This creates instability and poor core strength and results in altered transfer load, back pain, pelvic pain, bladder and bowel weakness.
- A Mummy MOT helps women avoid these distressing and often embarrassing symptoms. The assessment by a specialist physiotherapist of the tummy gap and pelvic floor will enable the creation of a bespoke post-natal recovery programme plan devised especially for the woman, her lifestyle and fitness goals, including specific and safe post-natal exercises to regain stability and optimum function.
We are Mummy MOT qualified
- Please complete the following online questionnaire before attending your MummyMOT: http://themummymot.com/home/pre-screening/
- Clinical Pilates & Reformer Programmes
- Pre & Post Natal Pilates
- Woman & Child
- Contact & how to book